A few days ago Megan and I had quite the conversation about religion. I can't remember how it started but somehow I was explaining that we are Mormon, meaning that we belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I went on to explain that we believe the Bible and that we also believe The Book of Mormon to be scripture. She seemed to be understanding everything pretty well up to this point. She loves both Bible and Book of Mormon stories so that was easy.
She then wanted to know which of her friends went to our old ward and which went to our new ward (a ward is a local Mormon congregation which we recently changed when we moved). I explained that a lot of her friends belong to other religions, some are Catholic, some are Baptist, some are Jewish and some are Muslim (we are so diverse!). I then went on to discuss why we can't go to her little friend's birthday party on Sunday. I explained that we try to keep the Sabbath day holy (i.e. we don't eat out, play sports, shop, etc.). She asked why and I said that Sunday's are a day of rest and that we need to attend church and try to learn about Jesus and serve others. At this point I could see the wheels turning. Megan then announced that her four imaginary friends (that is a whole other blog right there) are all Catholic and that she wants to be one too. Somehow, I feel like a failure.
Also reminds me of the time when we were listening to children's hymns in the car. In an attempt to have Megan understand the happy feelings the spirit brings I asked how the music made her feel.
Her reply: "It just makes me sick!"
4 comments:
That cracks me up! Our poor kids that will have every crazy thing they say immortalized in print!
HAHAHA! Man oh man, we have our work cut out for us, is all I have to say.
I love it! Just when you think you're really doing well as a mom....
Anyhoo, it's Carrie from Lubbock (now elsewhere) and I can't believe I've never followed your blog link from Jessica's blog before, but you're hilarious! The kids are adorable too. I must say my favorite is the picture of your son in a princess top. He'll hate you for that someday, but it will be worth it!
Was it you who had met Carianne from my ward? I swear, it's been more than a week so I can't remember anymore!
love to get her nightie off and make good use of her bed
Post a Comment